Monday, February 21, 2011

Third Day of subbing-Jan 28


Today I subbed for a 1-on-1 para.
I was told when I started that they were surprised that the job was picked up and that they were normally prefer not to have a sub, they were just required to have a sub by law. The person that I was subbing for left no instruction for what I was supposed to do. I met up with the student I was to work with and followed him to his classes. I sat where I was supposed to sit but did very little else. For third hour I was to go to the resource room, finally I was given some answers. I was told to take notes and observe the student. I didn’t really need to talk to him, just make note if he seemed frustrated. For one hour I helped a classroom para with the ceramics class. It seems like the paras are doing all the work in this class, what is the use of the students taking an art class if they don’t participate. Next I went to math with my student. This class had a sub and they were to take a test. I noticed that the student seemed frustrated towards the end of class, he calmly ripped up a piece of paper, his test maybe and placed it in his binder. Then he would bounce the pencil against the desk. This isn’t overly frustrated but it seemed a little odd. At the end of the day I turned in my notes to the head para and discussed what I had noticed with her. She said that for once it was helpful to have a sub because I was able to notice some new signs of frustration that his 1-on-1 had never noticed before. This was an odd day because I was told I was not needed, but I took notes for the student and tried to do what I had noticed my classroom para do and the day ended well.

No comments:

Post a Comment