Monday, February 21, 2011

Second day of subbing- Jan 27th


Subbing Jan 27th
This was my second day of subbing, I had better idea of what I would need to make the day go smoothly.
This teacher had much better sub notes. They were much more detailed. She provided directions for how to use the technology in her classroom. Her classroom was much more welcoming. There were student pictures posted all over the room, there was also a reading area with a couch. This room was also a little bigger which helped the overall feel of the room.

This class was basically doing the same thing that the class I subbed in yesterday was doing. They were reading a play. All of these classes were doing the project that they advanced class was doing yesterday, Instead of handing out the photos, the photos were posted around the room. The students were given time to do their project in class and were to turn it in that day. A number of students spent most of the time talking instead of doing the project, I didn’t want to limit the talking to much, because I know that talking can be part of the creative process, but some students had nothing to turn in.

This teacher also taught journalism. She left directions that the students knew what to do, and to remind the students that their pieces were due that Friday.  I caught a few students playing games, but they said they were done with their pieces.

The advanced class had an assignment that they were to finish the first few mins of class, but they did not have the questions that they needed to answer. I was not given a copy of these questions either. Luckily one student had a copy of the questions, so I moved this to the end of the class and I wrote the questions on the board while the students were working on their second assignment. There were a lot of questions to write and not very much room on the board, but I got them all on their. The students didn’t seem to appreciate that I wrote all of this for them, but I was very proud that I was able to work it out.

I had one other problem today. In one of the classes I could tell that I had at least one student in the wrong seat. I asked the table who didn’t belong there and no one answered. Finally, I was able to get the students name from another student. If it wasn’t for this student I would have never found out who was in the write or wrong seat. I need to pay more attention to the students when I call roll. I need to try to place names with the students’ faces so I can know which student is causing trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment