Monday, February 21, 2011

First day of Subbing- Jan 26



Today was my first subbing experience.
1st hour-
I came in halfway through first hour, the sub was sitting at her desk quietly and the students were working on their questions they were supposed to be working on quietly. The sub explained that they had had troubles with the CD player so they were making do with reading out loud.
When we started scene 4, I was able to use the next CD! I learned from this that it would be very helpful if the teacher would provide instructions on how to work the cd/dvd/projector in their sub plans, especially if they are needed for that class. Teachers cannot assume that subs or even other teachers in their building will know how to use their equipment; this equipment changes from room to room let alone from school to school. The problem here was that we didn’t know how to advance the cd, Luckily the in the next class I had students who saw that I was trying to work with the dvd player and came to my rescue. An alternative to leaving directions is to have a number of students in your classroom who know how to work the equipment, and are in charge of helping classroom guests with such things. It would still be helpful to leave instructions in the unlikely occasion that all of these students are gone. This could also give the students camaraderie with the sub encouraging them to help the sub as opposed to hindering the sub.
In this first hour we did not get as far along as the teacher had planned, though she did say that she didn’t know how long it would take.

3rd hour-
Begins with 20 mins of reading then lunch. The students told me that they are usually allowed to go to lunch early –is this true? Luckily I heard a lot of movement outside so I allowed them to go, also the sub plans said: “Lunch 10:37-10:59, I usually send them after we read and record strategies’” This indicated that she may allow the students to go early, but it doesn’t actually say it. It doesn’t say what time they usually finish the reading strategies or anything.
This class was very talkative, I can understand this as they had just come back from lunch, but that doesn’t mean that it is excusable. The teacher notes said that she allows them to go to the bathroom or get a drink as long as it is not disruptive, but as this class was so talkative I took this privilege away until they could be quiet. One student had been in iss the day before and said she had completed all of the work then. Because she had nothing to do, she was a huge disruption
This group of students did not like that I walked around the class while they were working. They said many times that their teacher sat in her seat all day and played on her computer or phone. I replied that we just have different teaching styles, and that just because that’s what she did, it doesn’t mean that I have to do it too. 

5th hour- Advanced Class- This class was very well behaved, I allowed them to take more responsibility and they stepped up- I wonder if I done the same with  3rd hour if this would have worked. This class had a different assignment, I was to hand out a packet of photos and the students were to choose a pic and do a creative writing based on this photo. I was not sure if they were to keep the photo for inspiration or leave it.


Overall- At first I thought the sub plans were detailed, but then there were something I didn’t understand. Was I supposed to collect the first set of Questions? In hours 1 and 3 it didn’t say, so I didn’t collect them, but the advanced directions said to collect the sheed so I did, also the directions said to collect 488, but we never got to that.

Timing- Mrs BP left instructions for word of the day and said the students know what to do, but they weren’t really doing it, so I lead what it sounded like they were supposed to do, but then a student said I was spending too much time with it… I would have liked a time frame.

Tech- the sub plans didn’t tell the sub how to use the technology. Solution, have a student in each class designated to operated the tech and let the sub know who the student is.

No comments:

Post a Comment