Thursday, May 5, 2011

An Alternative School Subbing April 11

Today I started out as a sub for a para, but then a science teacher had to leave and so I took over for her. I was subbing at the alternative high school. This means smaller classes, more individualized learning, and bigger attitudes. I am always a little wary when I go to work in the alternative school, however, once I get there I quickly find out that I am worrying for no reason. For the most part these students are just misunderstood. They aren’t “bad” kids, they just have behavior problems. The alternative school deals with this by using a B.I.S.T. behavior model. I don’t know much about B.I.S.T. but I can see some of the differences between the alternative school and the regular secondary schools. The classes at the alternative school are much smaller than the classes in the regular schools. The Alternative school has a “grounding” time where the students and teachers talk about themselves. They start out with a rating for how they are feeling and functioning that day. Then they share something positive that has happened to them recently and then they give an answer to the question of the day. I think this procedure helps the students come together as a community better. They know more about each other and so they are more understanding. They also have resource rooms that are used more liberally for behavior type issues, to give themselves a “time out.” One of the important concepts for this program is, it is not okay to interrupt anyone else’s learning. I know that one teacher at the high school I student taught at is employing this system for her class though I don’t know how well it will work if it is not a school wide movement. This is definitely taking a more direct stance on appropriate behavior in class. I think I will look into it more and see what I can incorporate into my own classes in the future.
The students were simply doing book work, as the teacher didn’t have much time to prepare sub plans. I was once again relegated to head babysitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment