Friday, April 29, 2011

First time sending a student to the office, Subbing history, March 14 & 15

For the last two days, I have subbed for a history teacher at one of the junior highs. He left a very interesting lesson plan. The students were studying the cold war, so he had selected you tube videos that showed various aspects of the cold war. There was a video about the atomic bomb testing and how it effected the citizens of the island were they conducted the testing. There was a video that they showed in schools about what to do if we were attacked with atomic bombs. there was a video that showed the images of the soviet army marching with some menacing music. Last, there was a video that showed the stages a missile goes through after it is launched. After the students watched the video they were to answer some questions that were provided, then the class was to discuss the questions. This was interesting  because the students got a good view of what the cold war was like through an assortment of videos from youtube, and the students were very interested in what they were watching. It wasn’t a documentary that went on and on with information that the students couldn’t care less about. Instead of telling the students what the cold war was like, he showed them, and let them come to their own conclusions with leading questions. I think that I will keep this in mind when I do Of Mice and Men again, or really with any unit that involves a historical context.
    It was also during the last two days that I sent my first student to the office. The students were not allowed to talk during the videos, but I had one student that just kept talking, I asked him a few times if I needed to move him, and he said, no, that he could be quiet. The next time I caught him talking I told him to move, then gave him some time to move. He didn’t, so I told him to move again, and when he said he wouldn’t, I said you can either move to a different seat or move to the office. He chose the office, and had a few choice words to say as he left. I don’t like sending students to the office. But I have finally found that sometimes its necessary. He didn’t have the right to distract other students from learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment